Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Convalescence

Aaaahhh! I dislike being sick! I've had some kind of stomach bug for three or four days giving me reason to not go to far from uncle Joe's house where we've been staying. I've got medicine and am steadily improving. Sadly my mood has been rather low during my sickness, I've been moaning, complaining and missing home. All three has gone out over Mrs (for which I apologize) who kindly has supported me.
Anyways, I'm getting better and yesterday we took a day out at the British Council to at least dampen my home sickness with some British newspapers and BBC-news... Got a membership card so I could borrow books and films from the library. It's not Sweden, but a piece of Europe which has comforted me a bit.
Today we went to Achimota, a Senior Secondary School to see if Mrs could do some of her research for her project there. No result from that effort so far, we're trying again tomorrow, but we got to experience the "stubborn beggar" phenomenon quite closely. A man came up asking for a small donation so he could go to hospital with this wound on his head. Fair enough if it wasn't for the wound being healing pretty well by itself from what we could see, nothing really nasty. However saying no proved not being very efficient. The man followed us for roughly an hour, constantly trying to conversate. One moment he was "not doing it for money", the next he explained how great it would be to have some money from us. In the end we literally had to push him out of the taxi we were taking to leave the school. I'm glad we didn't separate from any money. If we had done so he would have been encouraged to continue his business instead of finding a job or something to sell... Had he been seriously ill I might have considered giving, but with a scratch on the forehead you ain't getting no dough from this Swede! Especially not for stalking me.
We ate at decent Chinese food at a restaurant in Osu and then went to Koala supermarket to restock insect repellent. Rumor has it that things like insect repellent lotion and sunscreen with a factor higher than 6 is not to be found in Ghana, but if you go to Koala or MaxMart, two typically western supermarkets, you actually can find what you need! Good advice for other travelers who accidentally reads this blog maybe?
alright! I will try to get myself to a fast internet connection, AND bring the digital camera, ASAP. Time to show some animals, relatives and tilted buses, don't you think?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice that you are back "blogging"!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Mats-o-palats-o said...

Cheers!

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hej,
It's great to read your blogs. Sorry you've been sick.
Much love,
Gunilla (your dad's cousin!)

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tjenna!
Skont att hora att du verkar ma battre, magsjuka utomlands e ju ine kul... sitter i queenstown o har oxa lite "sverige sjuka", vill ha kaviar och filmjolk nu! lagade kanelbullar haromdagen och det kandes valdigt bra, uppskattades av mina flatmates. langtar efter sno nu, borjar bli frost pa morgonen. lycka till med restan av erat aventyr, kramar Karin

3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home